Skip to main content

1/19/18

My super awesome weight loss blog

I am trying to lose a total of about 45 lbs. This journey started in August when I weighed myself after a week long vacation in California and realized I was as heavy as I had ever been! Time to fix that. 

8/7/17 - I weighed 184.5 lbs with a fat % of 41.3. Heres are 2 'before' pics from the vacation.

Image may contain: 2 people, people smiling, tree, outdoor and nature
Image may contain: 6 people, people smiling, people standing, mountain, sky, outdoor and nature

Over the past 5 months I have fought to lose 20 lbs. I will admit I am not great about sticking with a strict diet - there have been so many cheat days I can't believe I even lost the 20. But looking back I see that overall I've averaged 1 lb per week. My goal has always been twice that - which explains why I am succeeding albeit slowly; The days I stick with it I'm able to maintain a 1000 calorie deficit and then probably break even on my many cheat days. 

Here is what I know after 5 months:
  • 1000 calorie deficit per day = 7000 calories down per week = 2 lb weight loss
  • my scale is a lying whore
  • ok maybe not but fluctuations in water weight/bloat/etc = many sad days standing on the scale
  • weighing myself every day has been really stressful
  • snacking destroys me! once i start snacking i will continue indefinitely
  • it's always easier to resist starting to eat sweets than it is to stop eating once i started
  • I got a lot of great info from Physiqonomics - most of all that I don't eat as much protein as I need to; I fill my calories with carbs a lot of the time
  • I have not bought new clothes except for a couple of shirts because I want to wait until I reach goal. However, I can definitely feel and see the difference after 20 lbs. (current pics will be on next post) 
  • My running time has improved to the best ever. 6 months ago I was running mostly a 12:00 mile pace. Now I can even do a 6 mile run under 11:00. 
  • I have kept my running length capped at 6 miles. Last year I struggled so much on the 2 half marathons I ran that I decided to stick to 10ks this season. I would like to think that once I lose another 25 lbs I might be able to train for a half again... but honestly the 6 miles is still PLENTY tough for me. I don't know how easily I could ramp up the mileage. I feel like my asthma is still limiting me. 
Here are things I've tried:
  • the whole time I've used Fitbit to track calories and macros. macros out of curiosity mainly; my sole focus has been on calories
  • sometimes I try to set a known calorie goal such as 1200 on non-workout days, 1400 on short run days and 1600 on long run days
  • sometimes I let Fitbit calculate my calorie deficit. the problem is when my run isn't until the evening, I end up having to estimate future calorie burn so that I don't close out the day with 1000 calories at dinner just because that's what I earned
  • if Fibit is accurate, I typically burn 2200-2700 calories a day. 
  • On December 10 (just over a month ago) I quit drinking. It's a huge deal for me! I was definitely a heavy drinker, even while dieting. For a few weeks I didn't keep track of calories because I was allowing myself to just 'settle out' without the alcohol. I lost a few pounds in that time, but now I have plateaued out again. 
  • because the winter weather has made it so hard to run outside regularly, I joined planet fitness and memphis fitness kickboxing so that I can keep up my exercise and do more strength training. I like to eat so the more I want to eat, the more I have to exercise. 
So that's where things stand as of today. 1/19/18 I am 163.6lb and 36.1% fat. I am also super frustrated because over the past week I had a 5222 calorie deficit which should = 1.5lb fat loss. What did i weigh a week ago? 163.6. Ugh. In my next post I will discuss the next step in my journey, which is to totally binge this weekend because fuck it, and start a ketogenic diet on Monday. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Keto...hmm...

Keto...hmmm.... So the other night I was listening to a podcast while I ran, and they were talking to a guy about ketogenic diets. At this point I'm bored with counting calories, I'm frustrated with the stalled weight, and I'm ready to try something new. The funny thing about the episode was that they never actually explained what keto is; just talked about how great it is. But I'm literate so I went to the google. Whaaaat? You can train your body to live off fat instead of carbs? I'm intrigued. I found plenty of descriptions of the science behind the diet. It's a major switch from mostly carbs to mostly fat. There were 2 calculators to figure out calories and macros for losing weight, and this is what I'm going to go with, which should put me at 800-1000 calorie deficit per day: total calories   protein   carbs   fat   1630                 114        45     110 At the end of the week I'll post my macros to see how well I fit that plan. I def

Week 1

Week 1! I'm not a patient person. I was going to wait and start the diet on Monday but I was part too excited to wait and part feeling guilty about that big burger dinner from Friday night. So I started Saturday. The grocery trip to prep was very expensive. I know that some of those bigger purchases, like the stevia sweetener, will last much longer than a week so this was an initial investment. The key will be to be flexible with things like meat and buy what is on sale, then meal plan around that. Overall I'd say the first week was a success. I lost 4.7 lbs! Sure glad to get rid of some water weight. Fasting till 11 or 12 every day has felt good, and it helps because then my meals are larger and I stay full longer. I really am not feeling a lot of hunger, and that makes dieting WAY easier. My biggest complaint is energy level during exercise. The only run that felt fine was my first one on Saturday morning when I wasn't keto yet, therefore still had plenty of glycogen a